There are several options to get to the Great Climate Swoop:
- With your affinity group: you’ve got your own plan and can get youself to Ratcliffe on Soar power station at 12noon Oct 17. Sorted! We’d really like to encourage this option – the more autonomous devolved stuff that is happening, the better!
- Join group transport that is leaving from near you all over the country early on saturday morning or friday night. See here for transport from all areas and details of how to sign up to it. This is a really really good option especially if you don’t have a group of friends to come with, because you can get to know other people on the way there. Already-formed affinity groups can also make good use of this option, because once you’re in the vicinity you can get off and do whatever you’ve planned!
- Last-minute emergency backup option: you faffed around, didn’t make up your mind, didn’t find a dog-sitter in time, and didn’t manage to get onto group transport. BUT you can still get to Nottingham. Just get to the train station friday night between 6 and 9pm and find the friendly powerstation-takeover welcome people. They can sort you out with a place to spend the night and/or tell you how join transport to Ratcliffe on Soar on Saturday (make sure you’ve got some dosh on you). Accommodation will be limited so PLEASE join group transport now or sort out somewhere to sleep youself. If you live in Nottingham anyway and would like to join the transport on saturday, find the welcome people too.
- Critical Mass: Bring your bike to Nottingham and cycle to the powerstation! We will leave from Nottingham Saturday morning – keep an eye on http://climatecamp.org.uk/actions/climate-swoop-2009 for more details soon! If you need crash-space the night before come to the station friday night and find the welcome people.
Info for transport organisers
If you are organizing group transport to Ratcliffe on Soar, please contact outreach[@]climatecamp.org.uk so we can add it to the list on the website and get more people to come along! Please really consider whether YOU could be the person to organize transport from your town and bring another load of people to join in on this amazing empowering action! Do it!! Then be ready to arrive at a drop-off space (very nearby, you will get the details soon) at 12:00 on Saturday 17th October. Most groups should be able to get there on time by leaving early Saturday morning. For those who come from so far away that they need overnight accommodation, we recommend spending the night at least one hour’s drive away. Let outreach[@]climatecamp.org.uk know if you are planning to do that and would like recommendations. Minibuses would be ideal for transport: they are easier to handle/park on the day than coaches, probably turn out cheaper, can be driven by us, and if they are hire vehicles won’t have known licence plates :-)
Leaving: Friday 16th at 6pm
Leaving from: Old Steine, Brighton
Returning: Sunday evening
Cost: £35 return (£25 concession)
- buy tickets at Brighton Peace and Environment Centre or online at http://www.thebiglemon.com
Leaving: Friday 16th at 7pm
Leaving from: Temple Meads Station
Returning: Sunday 18th (flexible)
Cost: £20 onboard
Contact: email@example.com, 07793107684
Please contact ASAP!
Email firstname.lastname@example.org or ring 07805826880 if you are interested in coming to the Swoop from Cambridge.
Email email@example.com if you are interested in coming to the Swoop from Hebden Bridge
Leaving: Friday night and Saturday morning
Leaving from: TBC
Returning: Saturday evening and Sunday afternoon.
Cost: £15 max - deadline for booking - Saturday, 10th October
Contact: London@climatecamp.org.uk or 07932 039031 letting us know if you want to:
a. arrive Friday night or Saturday morning
b. return Saturday night or Sunday night
Leaving: Saturday 17th at 9am
Leaving from: Cavendish Street at All Saints Park (on the Oxford Road).
Returning: Late Saturday evening and Sunday
Cost: £9 return – tickets available to everyone from the University of Manchester Students Union ticket office.
Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org for more info.
Email email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org if you’re interest in coming to the Swoop from Thames Valley
Email email@example.com or ring 07867990348 if you are interested in coming to the Swoop from Wales
Leaving: Saturday 7.15 AM (can stop in Sheffield if there is demand)
Leaving from: Leeds University Parkinson Steps and Leeds train station
Returning: Sunday afternoon/ evening
Cost: Free (although £15-25 donations to Yorkshire Climate Camp will be
much appreciated). Tickets are available from Greenaction food coop, Leeds University Union welcome desk and by email.
Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org or 07775 864 700
Cycling from Leeds to Nottingham
15th – Set off from Leeds Train station at 10am, arrive in the evening at Sheffield Social Centre.
16th – Set off from Sheffield Train Station 10am, arrive in the evening at Nottingham.
17th – CRITICAL MASS, set off from Nottingham Train Station at 10am.
This will be accessible to all levels of cyclist :)